- Chief Executive Officer of AXA
- Born on March 24, 1973
- German and Swiss nationalities
Directorship and number of AXA shares
- Appointed on April 25, 2018 - Term expires at the 2022 Shareholders' Meeting
- First appointment on September 1, 2016
- Number of AXA shares held on December 31, 2019: 320,305
On April 28, 2020
Expertise and experience
Mr. Thomas Buberl holds a Master of Economics degree from WHU Koblenz (Germany), a MBA from Lancaster University (UK) and a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of St Gallen (Switzerland). In 2008 he was nominated as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum. From 2000 to 2005, Mr. Thomas Buberl worked at the Boston Consulting Group as a consultant for the banking & insurance sector in Germany and abroad. From 2005 to 2008, he had worked for the Winterthur Group as member of the Management Board of Winterthur in Switzerland, first as Chief Operating Officer and then as Chief Marketing and Distribution Officer. Then, he joined Zurich Financial Services where he had been Chief Executive Officer for Switzerland. From 2012 to April 2016, he was Chief Executive Officer of AXA Konzern AG (Germany). In 2012, he has been member of the AXA Executive Committee. In March 2015, he became Chief Executive Officer of the Global Business Line for the Health Business and joined the AXA Management Committee. In January 2016, Mr. Thomas Buberl was also appointed Chief Executive Officer of the global business line Life & Savings. From March 21, 2016 to August 31, 2016, Mr. Thomas Buberl was Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Directeur Général Adjoint ) of AXA. Since September 1, 2016, Mr. Thomas Buberl has been Chief Executive Officer and director of AXA.
Directorships held within the AXA Group
- Director and Chief Executive Officer: AXA
Directorships held outside the AXA Group (1)
- Director or member of the Supervisory Board: Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA (Germany), IBM (United States)
Directorships held during the last five years
- Chairman of the Management Board: AXA Konzern AG (Germany), AXA Krankenversicherung AG (Germany), AXA Lebensversicherung AG (Germany), AXA Versicherung AG (Germany), DBV Deutsche Beamtenversicherung AG (Germany)
- Chairman of the Board of Directors: AXA Equitable Holdings, Inc. (United States), AXA Financial, Inc. (United States), AXA Leben AG (Switzerland), AXA Versicherungen AG (Switzerland), XL Group Ltd (Bermuda)
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board: AXA Konzern AG (Germany), AXA Krankenversicherung AG (Germany), AXA Lebensversicherung AG (Germany), AXA Versicherung AG (Germany), Deutsche Ärzteversicherung AG (Germany)
- Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Roland Rechtsschutz-Versicherungs-AG (Germany)
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer: Vinci B.V. (the Netherlands)
- Director or member of the Management Committee or member of the Supervisory Board: AXA ASIA (SAS), AXA ART Versicherung AG (Germany), AXA Equitable Holdings, Inc. (United States), AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company (United States), AXA Life Insurance Co. Ltd (Japan), MONY Life Insurance Company of America (United States), Tertia GmbH (Germany).
(1) Mr. Thomas Buberl requested the Board of Directors' approval before accepting new directorships in companies outside the AXA Group.