We’ve been working in partnership with LinkedIn since 2014. So we thought we’d share some of our top tips to help you go further. Whether you’re new to LinkedIn or you simply want to get the most out of the platform, here’s our Employer Brand team’s guide on how to build your personal brand on LinkedIn:
Make that profile shine:
- Have a good quality photo that reflects the style of the industry you want to join
- Have a sharp summary at the top of your profile regarding your experienc
- Add your skills and experience and have as much detail on your profile as possible.
- Make sure you put a little bit of your personality into your profile – it shouldn’t be as formal as your CV
- Use keywords which will make your profile more searchable
Be active and share:
- Like and share relevant content to both your interests and your career interests - to give your profile personality
- If you have a lot to say - think about creating your own posts to share. Post articles that show your creativity and passion for your profession – you’ll get noticed more and recognised for the interest and effort you have gone to
- Try to add your own opinion to anything you repost - it shows you have one and helps others to understand why the post is important to you
- If you’re having trouble to make the time or find content you like – try LinkedIn’s Pulse app – it’s an easy way to find out what people in your network are talking about.
- Take advantage of face-to-face meetings to connect with people on LinkedIn in real life - careers fairs, informal meetings, work experience, networking events - 'Are you on LinkedIn? Let's connect.'
- Build your network - start with friends, but try to connect with people who have known you professionally too
- Give feedback on others (using the skills feature - rating and suggesting skills) - this encourages mutual feedback
- Join relevant groups and get involved in conversations
- Connect with the right people to grow your network