Interbrand's "Green Brand" methodology rates companies both on:
- How green their business practices are
- How environmentally-friendly the public perceives them to be
In AXA's case, Interbrand highlighted the following strengths:
- The role AXA plays in addressing climate change through improving the understanding of global and local environmental risks, notably through the AXA Research Fund and the partnership with CARE to help vulnerable populations better prepare for climate-related risks
- The role employees play in tackling environmental risks through AXA Hearts in Action and skills-based volunteering aimed at sharing AXA's expertise in risk management and prevention;
- The reduction of AXA's environmental footprint, notably:
- Power Consumption: power consumption decreased by 7% in 2012 compared to 2011, and achieved a 16% decrease between 2008 and 2012.
- Waste Management: ink cartridges are systematically recycled by local entities, and many of them voluntarily collect various waste streams for recycling (e.g. used batteries). In 2012, 51% of ink cartridges were recycled.
- Water Consumption: water consumption decreased by 2% between 2011 and 2012, and achieved a 4% decrease compared to 2008 and 2012.
This year, the Best Global Green Brands report focuses on the power of participation and collective action. The report suggests that every constituency - businesses, consumers, employees, suppliers, governments and investors - will need to be engaged and willing to collaborate in order to take Corporate Citizenship and sustainability initiatives to the next level. We celebrate this year's 50 Best Global Green Brands for having done exactly that and, in some cases, more.
We are very proud to be recognized for the way in which AXA involves all our stakeholders, from our academic and NGO partners to our own employees, in our efforts to address environmental and climate risks. Climate risk in particular is a core concern for insurers, and AXA works hard to play its role in taking action within our business, as well as in raising awareness for society at large. Being recognized as a'green leader' by Interbrand is proof that the messages are being heard, and is a fitting & rewarding follow-up to AXA's recent Corporate Responsibility Week, which mobilized more than 50,000 employees on these very topics!