This position supports Management’s efforts to respond appropriately and in a timely manner to all changes in accounting, reporting and regulatory requirements on Statutory, US GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) bases and to provide analysis and control of assigned areas of responsibility with a principal focus on defining and testing all accounting related to Life Insurance Products. This position will also be responsible for recording differences between the US Generally Accepted Accounting (US GAAP) basis of reporting used for filing with the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) and the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) basis used for reporting to our French parent company. Ad hoc work and special projects arise throughout the year and are a significant part of this role as well. In order to complete these tasks, this position requires strong technical accounting skills as well as strong computer skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills. Potential of travel is 10%.
Detailed functions include:
• Validate the accuracy and completeness of policyholder-related assets and liabilities through review of daily and monthly reconciliations between the general ledger and various sources and review and approval of journal entries supporting various basis of financial reporting, including statutory, US GAAP and IFRS
• Prepare and/or review creation of accurate and timely balance sheet and income statement trend analysis pertaining to life product accounting, ensuring all unusual fluctuations are researched and explained and any exceptions identified are resolved in a timely manner.
• Research, analyze and resolve complex accounting and process issues pertaining to life insurance accounting
• Partner with Customer Service, Product Development, and Information Technology to review specifications for new products or changes to existing products and assess impact of new products, product feature changes, system changes, etc on financial controls and accounting for policyholder transactions in the administration systems and the general ledger. This includes assignment and testing of accounting changes in the various life insurance policy admin systems.
• Maintain tables within various policy administrative systems for life insurance products which translate accounts in the administration systems to the General Ledger chart of accounts
• Oversee the development, maintenance and accuracy of accounting procedures, internal controls, segregation of duties and all related documentation
• Coordinate internal/external audits
• Assist with SOX testing requirements, including testing of calculations of policyholder transactions in the life insurance policy administration systems
• Seek opportunities for improved accuracy and efficiency through automation, streamlining processes and enhancement of internal controls.
• Participate in various corporate sponsored, cross functional projects at the direction of the Director and AVP of the area
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
• 2-4 years of work experience in Accounting with project management experience
• Proficient understanding of balance sheet and income statements and journal entry processing
• Experience in problem resolution
• Ability to work with various sets of data from different sources
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to excel in a cross-functional team environment
• Excellent analytical skills with the ability to research and resolve complex accounting issue independently and provide guidance to other accountants when needed
• Excellent organization skills with ability to manage individual workload with a keen focus on meeting and exceeding expectations in terms of quality and timeliness of work products delivered by the team.
• Strong computer skills with advanced knowledge of excel required
• Insurance Industry and Accounting experience a plus
• Working knowledge of SAP a plus
• Knowledge of Microsoft Access and Powerpoint
NOTE: AXA participates in the E-Verify program.
In addition to competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including 401 (k) and medical programs, we offer the opportunity for continued professional development in a congenial corporate environment.
AXA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to our employees, applicants and candidates based on individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disabilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or any other class protected by federal, state and local laws.
AXA is a leading financial protection company, committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse, multicultural and inclusive environment, and one of the nation’s premier providers of life insurance and annuity products. The organization was established in 1859 and we are committed now more than ever to helping clients meet financial goals in all stages of their lives. One of the hallmarks of our proud heritage is providing world-class customer service.
We're always looking for smart and talented people to help us develop new and innovative ways to expand our product portfolio, reach new customers and serve well the clients already a part of the AXA family.