This is a highly visible role in a very dynamic team (overseeing distribution, product, insurance risks including underwriting and reinsurance). The person is the Risk Management (RM) voice on Underwriting (UW) and related issues. The person will have one direct report (Employee Benefit underwriter, to be recruited) and attend monthly Underwriting Risk Committee (URC) meetings chaired by the CFO and Business Area (BA) Head. In addition, the person will also have the opportunity to attend weekly meetings with the CRO and learn about current issues faced by the company
- Form an open and constructive working relationship with local UW (operation, RM, medical doctors), product pricing & development, claims mgmt, actuarial/reinsurance and related Group teams (GLS, GRM). Become the RM representative / voice on UW topics.
- Conduct competitive analysis of underwriting requirements and guidelines. Stay in touch with industry development and issues by attending industry/Group conferences and meeting reinsurers & vendors, Volunteer at various industry events & organizations if needed
- Involved in the UW guideline development/changes of Life & Employe Benefit (EB) Systematically review URC materials, liaise with key stakeholders to formalize RM opinions and express any unresolved issue / concerns at the URC.
- Selectively review high risk cases (post issue) and audited case and share findings and recommendations with key stakeholders (BA, Finance, Local & Group RM). Review prospective audit plans (i.e. targeted audits) with Life & EB UW.
- Annually assess the alignment of our underwriting philosophy, guideline, process and execution. Assist in the review of the Predictive Analytics UW engine development.
- Conduct external audits of Reinsurance companies underwriting practices where retro business is placed with AXA. Findings are shared with actuarial/pricing as well as the reinsurer, along with appropriate recommendations.
- Educate CRO and others in RM on Underwriting and challenges faced by AXA.
- Extensive life underwriting experience (10+ years) with specific knowledge in the areas of internal audit, underwriting, and industry regulations.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of life insurance risk evaluation and selection process
- Expert knowledge of medical, non-medical and financial issues relevant to underwriting
- Comprehensive knowledge of life insurance industry principles and practices
- Superior knowledge of life insurance products and services
- Strong knowledge of guidelines research and development
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Strong project management skills, handling multiple deliverables on deadline
- Ability to communicate performance standards, monitor progress and provide feedback to management
- Ability to interact harmoniously and productively in team or with employees in immediate work group and entire organization
- Ability to adapt to changes in procedures and assignments
- Ability to learn and function satisfactorily under widely varying situations
- Effective problem-solving and communication skills
- Strong team player and collaborative skills.
NOTE: AXA participates in the E-Verify program.
In addition to competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including 401 (k) and medical programs, we offer the opportunity for continued professional development in a congenial corporate environment.
AXA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to our employees, applicants and candidates based on individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disabilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or any other class protected by federal, state and local laws.
AXA is a leading financial protection company, committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse, multicultural and inclusive environment, and one of the nation’s premier providers of life insurance and annuity products. The organization was established in 1859 and we are committed now more than ever to helping clients meet financial goals in all stages of their lives. One of the hallmarks of our proud heritage is providing world-class customer service.
We're always looking for smart and talented people to help us develop new and innovative ways to expand our product portfolio, reach new customers and serve well the clients already a part of the AXA family.