Cloud & Distributed Infrastructure Architecture Expert
CONTEXT and JOB PURPOSE:
The Cloud and Distributed Architect works within the Technical Technology Office and he/she is accountable to provide architecture, vision, governance, problem anticipation and solving for IT on an architectural level.
This will include the definition and management of technology strategy, technical choices and high-level architectures of Cloud and Distributed products.
The Cloud and Distributed Architect’s role is to contribute and to steer the Architecture evolution across AXA to ensure the proper implementation of the IT Strategy and to be able to adopt new technologies and new market solutions in line with the business priorities, and with the aim for AXA to become a Tech Led Company.
His/her domain of exercise is Cloud and Distributed as a key AXA strategic element of tech led strategy, which includes compute, software, storage, database, integration API, hybrid, network and overall Management & Monitoring services, both on premise and hybrid.
First and foremost, in a collaborative approach leveraging sponsors, stakeholders and communities (product, chapters, entities, security, developers, market providers …), Cloud and Distributed Architect drives the overall and per component vision.
The individual in this position understands the Group business strategy, the Information Systems (IS) of the Group and anticipates future directions of the IT industry to relate them to future business needs and initiatives.
The Cloud and Distributed Architect produces key architecture deliverables, leads international workgroups and studies to establish IT directions for the Group and is responsible for the architecture review of projects related to technologies in his domain of responsibility.
In this role, he/she will contribute significantly during the first phase of AXA gating process (Gate 0: idea till Gate 1: vision & strategy).
Secondly, the Cloud and Distributed Architect contributes on the lifecycle of technology choice and is a key decision contributor on architecture using and animating governance to move from vision to implementation.
For this phase, he/she will be in strong support of the Product / Program manager that will deliver the Gate 2 (commitment on solution, timing and budget). And later on, in the lifecycle will coordinate and engage in all architectural steps required from Gate 2 to Gate 4 and subsequent refresh/decommissioning activity.
He/she will have a key role in participating in key the initiatives of the domain to guarantee transversal coordination: feasibility studies, opportunity studies, business case, major contract negotiation or position papers; should it be for Group Operations products but also for OpCo questions. They finally provide architecture support and consultancy where needed by products.
The Cloud and Distributed Architect is one of the key actors to communicate the vision, evangelize stakeholders and represent Technology Office on its domain. This needs to be done through clear technical leadership, vision and communication. This includes represents AXA IT with our key vendors, partners and internal colleagues.
The objective of Cloud and Distributed architecture is to ensure that we build sustainable, robust and secured solutions on the on premise and in hybrid mode at the right cost and that bring business value to support the corporate business and lines of business strategies, in close collaboration with Cloud and Distributed Product teams, Group Security Architecture and other Technical Office architecture domain teams (notably Network, Distributed, Data).
The Cloud and Distributed Architect’s main activity is to contribute to the Cloud Strategy of the Group and act as a change agent to implement this Strategy through the Target Enterprise Architecture of the Group, and of individual countries within the Group. He may also be called upon to directly support project managers on some key projects.
- Provides infrastructure technology vision, leadership and standardization and this in close relation with product head cloud:
- Formalizes and writes the vision: executive notes, evangelization deck, strategy document …
- Defines and manages the Cloud and Distributed Technology Strategy in support of Group IT vision, strategies and plans.
- Build and maintain the Cloud and Distributed content of the Group Target Architecture
- Approves and contributes to end-to-end solution design in collaboration with Product Engineering to provide the overall product architecture, and ensure that its design is consistent with Group Operations standards and good practices
- Facilitates collaboration and knowledge sharing between technical experts within AXA Service
- Defines design patterns:
- Determines Technical Infrastructure designs/evolutions required jointly with Product Engineering teams. This includes the delivery of product blueprints, High-Level Designs and contribution to Low-Level Designs
- Minimizes technical complexity and identifies convergence opportunities
- Manages and contributes to Product Governance & Architecture Community
- Contributes to, organizes and / or governs and animates Cloud and Distributed Architecture governance bodies and architecture communities
- Attends product and community meetings and events for its domain
- Contribute to Technology/Architecture CTO Community and Technology Governance of the Group covering global and local dimensions, which includes ensuring design and solution choices made in the entities are conform to Group Strategy in order to secure Group interests over the long-term
- Provides feedback on community structure, tools and content to aid in continuous improvement
- Watches market and maintain strategic vendors relationship
- Leads relationship with strategic vendors for architecture related matters in relationship with Procurement, Product Engineering teams and Operations
- Ensures follow-up for architecture matters with strategic vendors
- Provides a key presence within the broader industry through close strategic vendor relationships and industry standards setting bodies.
The person will have to manage the complexity of a global organization operating in a decentralized organization. Goals can only be achieved through:
- Openness to different opinions and creation of consensus
- Agility to constantly address new topics and new stakeholders
- Embracing of the new AXA values and new ways of working with courage to promote them against tradition
- Strong change management skills with practical experience of transformation in an international environment
- Strives for excellence with deliverables of high quality and ability to work in sometimes tight planning
- Demonstrates to be a strong team member with a collaborative mind-set.
- University degree (engineer profile) with > 8 years’ experience
- Must exhibit a strong understanding of today’s computing challenges and trends, mostly at Infrastructure and Technical levels.
- Experience on solutions architecture designs for very large projects/environments and, in particular, a specific specialist domain
- Established and demonstrably productive technical relationships with major Cloud and Distributed vendors
- Proven ability to thrive in a matrixed, multi-cultural and global environment
- Requires deep understanding of the Cloud Distributed technology and market practices with very good/established level of expertise.
- Strong expertise in Distributed and Private Cloud design patterns and infrastructure good practices
- Good knowledge and hands-on experiences in the Cloud and Distributed computing area such as servers, storage, network, database, distributed applications, cloud security, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, PaaS, SaaS, etc is highly desired
- Architecture expertise at least in one of the 3 major public Cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP) is desirable
- VMWare, IBM Private Cloud, AWS, Azure, GCP architecture certifications are a plus.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with both internal customers and program/project stakeholders
- Facilitation, negotiation and influencing skills to achieve results in a matrix management environment
- Problem solving, strong analytical skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills for executives, large community and operational teams
- Sense of urgency and efforts redirection if necessary, to maintain sound time-management of initiatives
- Decision making and ability to work independently in a complex environment
- Considering the multi-cultural environment, a fluent English knowledge in speaking and writing is mandatory.
Would you like to wake up every day driven and inspired by our mission of acting for human progress by protecting what matters? Here at AXA we strive to be a responsible employer, placing employee engagement at the heart of its business strategy. Achieving this means creating a workplace built on AXA's Values that foster diversity and equal opportunities for all, promotes employee participation, encourages professional development, and supports employee well-being.
We are looking for talented individuals who come from varied backgrounds, think differently and want to be part of this exciting transformation by challenging the status quo so we can push AXA - a leading global brand and one of the most innovative companies in our industry - onto even greater things.
In a fast-evolving world and with a presence in 57 countries, our 160,000 employees anticipate change to offer services and solutions tailored to the current and future needs of our 108 million customers.
AXA is becoming a sustainable tech-led company and at AXA Group Operations we are one of the major catalysts for this transformation.
We set the tone by triggering and empowering the evolution of our insurance business model through technology and innovation, driving its concrete implementation globally at speed, with a high quality of advisory and execution.
We are present across 17 countries with committed, highly qualified teams. We leverage technology, data, sourcing, security and investment allocation in a global way, but also achieve economies of scale and synergies when necessary.
At AXA Group Operations, we want to be recognized in three fields of action:
- State-of-the-art Data Technology to drive customer experience
- State-of-the-art Procurement & Sourcing to drive efficiency and better manage risks
- High-Performing Global Team for stronger partnerships with AXA entities
We bring together the expertise, cultural diversity and creativity of over 8,000 employees worldwide and we’re committed to equal opportunities in all aspects of employment (gender, LGBT+, disabled persons, or people of different origins) and to promoting Diversity & Inclusion by creating a work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect, and where individual differences are valued.