At AXA UK, we have a fantastic opportunity to join the UK Commercial business as a Commercial Underwriter, as we experience an exciting growth trajectory and invest in our workforce of the future. As part of our new smart working strategy at AXA UK, the Commercial Underwriter position can be performed as a hybrid role working between home and our office in the City of London.
AXA are one of the lead insurers for Commercial clients that place their business with us. As a Commercial Underwriter, we’re looking for candidates who can help us achieve our long-term ambition to combine technical excellence with innovative client solutions. Reporting into the Trading Team Manager, you will predominantly be focused on new business development and underwriting in line with AXA’s established practices and governance framework. Using the full range of appetite, tools and client propositions available, delivering on financial targets through profitable underwriting of risks and developing partnerships with our key brokers. This will require a desire to build face-to-face Market relationships.
What you'll be doing:
- Use information gathering, a strong knowledge of policy wordings and industry trends to select, understand and assess risks and makes sound assessments of the probability of exposure to determine a suitable premium from an accurately established technical price.
- Develop credibility with brokers and customers, using effective questioning to understand all aspects of importance to both broker and customer, and design a solution which meets those.
- Put sustained effort into building influential relationships externally and internally, take ownership and respond to immediate broker demands in a timely manner and keep them informed about relevant ongoing activity
- Build strong trading relationships with brokers, through visits and large case liaison, to maximise financial results and generate pipeline new business opportunities.
- Build a reputation as a trading expert with a panel of intermediaries and build confidence in the branch ability through interaction with our Underwriting Technical Centre.
- Lead and contribute to meetings with brokers and end customers to portray AXA capabilities and secure new business opportunities.
- Demonstrate contribution to loss ratio control by effectively implementing branch UW controls.
- Strong trading capability: commercial awareness, negotiation skills, ability to build strong broker relationships.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the commercial insurance market, legislative and regulatory requirements for insurance and including treating customers fairly.
- Strong level of technical underwriting expertise in a composite insurance environment (non-package).
- Pragmatic and confident decision maker with good numerical reasoning skills.
- Comprehensive risk assessment and risk management skills.
- Strong analytical skills with proven experience of account monitoring and action planning.
- Cert CII qualification with DIP CII desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced organisation and planning skills.
With a presence in over 60 countries, and 165,000 employees serving the needs of 107 million customers, AXA is big.
But never too big to care for every single person who works here. So when you join us, we promise to put our collective might behind you and your career.
You’ll work in an open and supportive environment where you’ll be developed, challenged and encouraged to move around to achieve even bigger and better things – nationally and internationally. You’ll learn directly from senior leaders, from the best in our business. And you’ll enjoy real responsibility, really early on.
Every large company today talks about supporting diversity and inclusion. But at AXA UK, these values form an integral part of everything we do. For us, it’s about bringing together the best talent, helping people to realise their full potential by being 100% themselves at work and delivering outstanding service to everyone – regardless of difference.
Proud to be part of the AXA Group, a global insurance brand and a worldwide leader in financial services, AXA Insurance businesses employ over 5,500 in a network of offices across the UK. Our expert teams care for a huge range of customers, helping them protect their cars, homes and businesses against life’s uncertainties. Whether bought directly, through brokers or through a number of corporate partners, our market-leading products are trusted by millions.
One of the best things about joining AXA is our rewards package. At AXA UK, we’re appreciative of the people who work for us and our rewards package is reviewed regularly to reflect that. You can expect to receive:
- Competitive salary with annual review
- Annual company & performance-based bonus
- Contributory pension scheme (up to 12% employer contributions)
- Life Assurance (up to 10 x annual salary)
- 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Opportunity to buy up to 5 extra days leave or sell up to 3 days leave
- AXA employee discounts
- Gym benefits
AXA is proud to support the needs of our employees and as such understands everyone has individual work and home life responsibilities. We are therefore happy to discuss flexible working arrangements for this role, should this be a requirement for you.
At AXA, we want to become one of the most inspiring companies to work for and to achieve this ambition, we need the best talent to come and work for us. We look for candidates with the right skills and values to join us and selection is based on a fair and equal process. As a financial services company, all successful candidates will be subject to preemployment checks, so we can ensure regulatory compliance.
We’re proud to be committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all backgrounds. To apply, click ‘Apply Now’ and you’ll be able to upload your profile/CV from there. If you require an alternative method of applying or would like to discuss this role further, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.