The award-winning leading insurance company AXA UK has an excellent opportunity for a Data Engineer to join AXA Retail on a full time permanent basis. We're looking for a Data Engineer with a year or two of experience in SAS or Python and ideally someone who has a Maths/Science or IT degree class 2:1 or above. This role provides fantastic career development opportunities within our dynamic Business Information team.
You’ll be part of a team responsible for a complex SAS data warehouse and MI reporting infrastructure used by around 70 users across our Pricing and Product departments, currently involved in a project to migrate data and MI to the Azure Cloud using Databricks. At AXA we’re adopting a Hybrid way of working, empowering our people to balance their time between home and the Weybridge office in a way that works best for them, their team and our customers.
What you'll be doing:
- Assist with maintenance and delivery of routine ETL processes and ensure accuracy of the data
- Identify and drive improvements and enhancements to the warehouse to ensure it is fit for purpose
- Build relationships across the AXA business; promote the usefulness and availability of data and reports; keep business customers informed and supported
- Understand and proactively manage the risks associated with data usage and ensure full compliance with all relevant legislation
- Assist in the project to migrate data to Azure, using tools like Databricks, Python, Spark, Data Factory and PowerBI
- Assist in the roll out of new tools to the wider business.
The Data Engineer role predominantly suits highly organised analytical individuals comfortable with coding most of the day with a passion to learn and solve problems. An ideal candidate will also have experience in the below:
- A strong working knowledge of either SAS or Python is required and understanding of other programming languages such as Spark, SQL, R, Visual Basic will be useful.
- Useful to the role will be knowledge of Azure Databricks and Data Factory. You will need to be comfortable with using the MS Office Suite (especially Excel), and able to manipulate data.
- An organised approach to planning and prioritising own workload will be needed and a basic understanding of Azure DevOps or similar tools would be benificial.
- As you will be working with a variety of stakeholders, you will need to be confident at understanding technical concepts and communicating back to non-technical audiences.
- The ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines whilst maintaining reliability and accuracy is important in this role.
With a presence in over 60 countries, and 165,000 employees serving the needs of 107 million customers, AXA is big.
But never too big to care for every single person who works here. So when you join us, we promise to put our collective might behind you and your career.
You’ll work in an open and supportive environment where you’ll be developed, challenged and encouraged to move around to achieve even bigger and better things – nationally and internationally. You’ll learn directly from senior leaders, from the best in our business. And you’ll enjoy real responsibility, really early on.
Every large company today talks about supporting diversity and inclusion. But at AXA UK, these values form an integral part of everything we do. For us, it’s about bringing together the best talent, helping people to realise their full potential by being 100% themselves at work and delivering outstanding service to everyone – regardless of difference.
Proud to be part of the AXA Group, a global insurance brand and a worldwide leader in financial services, AXA Insurance businesses employ over 5,500 in a network of offices across the UK. Our expert teams care for a huge range of customers, helping them protect their cars, homes and businesses against life’s uncertainties. Whether bought directly, through brokers or through a number of corporate partners, our market-leading products are trusted by millions.
One of the best things about joining AXA is our rewards package. At AXA UK, we’re appreciative of the people who work for us and our rewards package is reviewed regularly to reflect that. You can expect to receive:
- Competitive annual salary of £30,000 to £45,000 dependent on experience
- Annual company & performance-based bonus
- Contributory pension scheme (up to 12% employer contributions)
- Life Assurance (up to 10 x annual salary)
- 28 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- Opportunity to buy up to 5 extra days leave or sell up to 3 days leave
- AXA employee discounts
- Gym benefits
AXA is proud to support the needs of our employees and as such understands everyone has individual work and home life responsibilities. We are therefore happy to discuss flexible working arrangements for this role, should this be a requirement for you.
At AXA, we want to become one of the most inspiring companies to work for and to achieve this ambition, we need the best talent to come and work for us. We look for candidates with the right skills and values to join us and selection is based on a fair and equal process. As a financial services company, all successful candidates will be subject to preemployment checks, so we can ensure regulatory compliance.
We’re proud to be committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all backgrounds. To apply, click ‘Apply Now’ and you’ll be able to upload your profile/CV from there. If you require an alternative method of applying or would like to discuss this role further, please send an email to email@example.com.