Senior Legal Counsel (F/M)
Main Purpose of the role:
The purpose of this role is to provide legal support to the AXA GO teams in Asia on all legal matters and to render quality and timely legal advice and services to various business units to ensure compliance of AXA SSC with local laws & regulations (pertaining to the location of AXA Service Asia legal entities operating in Asia) and regional office standards and requirements.
Design responsive solutions and manage legal risks to help AXA GO achieve its goals.
The key accountabilities are to: provide legal advice to business; represent AXA with interactions / liaison with government agencies and regulators; conduct contract review for IT and non IT products and services; ensure corporate secretary is properly performed in all AXA GO entities in Asia.
This role is accountable for management of legal advice to AXA GO senior stakeholders across the region and is the custodian of Company archive of contracts, regulatory filings and government approvals.
1. Provision of legal advice to business units
- Provide legal advice on legal and concerns to come up with responsive resolutions
- Provide timely and quality advice to IT, Finance, Procurement and other internal customers.
- Compliance of correspondences, articles, contracts and other documents of the company with legal and business requirements
2. Interactions / liaison with government agencies, including SEC and PEZA
- Represent the Company in dealings with government agencies
- Filings with PEZA and SEC
- Filings of statutory obligations for AXA GO in PH, MY, HK, SG, ID
3. Contracts review (IT and non-IT)
- Review third-party contracts (in English) and amend as required to ensure compliance with AXA internal risk controls & best practice – using standard templates as a guide.
- Review third-party contracts (in English) and amend as required to ensure alignment to best commercial practice to protect AXA fiduciary position now and in the future
- Review internal managed service agreements (MSA) and ensure compliance with best commercial practice, risk controls and local country laws and regulations
4. Custodianship of Company archive of contracts, regulatory filings and government approvals
- Administer the maintenance of legal documents and department’s e-Library
5. Manage company litigation
- Provide legal advice on issues arising from actual or anticipated lawsuits
- Analyze litigation cases handled by external counsel at key stages to guide management on the proper course of action to take
- Represent the Company or its officials in various legal proceedings
- Perform proper management of legal cases including cost- effectiveness
- Mitigate legal risks
6. Implement best practices in Corporate Governance and manage Corporate Secretarial Work
- Ensure all corporate governance responsibilities are completed for the board, stockholders and committee meetings, certificates of approved resolutions, and other corporate documents
- Act as custodian of AXA GO archive of contracts, regulatory filings and government
7. Stakeholder Management
- Manage communication to stakeholders to ensure there is an adequate level of communication between all relevant parties
Internal to AXA GO:
- CFO AXA GO Asia
- Market GM AXA GO Asia
- Country GM AXA GO HK
- Country GM AXA GO PH
- Country GM AXA GO MY
- Country GM AXA GO SG
- Country GM AXA GO ID
- Board Members AXA GO Asia
- Legal & Governance Team
- Compliance & Data Privacy Team
- Group Procurement Team
- COO Asian Markets
- General Counsel and Head of Compliance, Asian Markets
- Legal Counsel, Asian Markets
- Countries Legal Counsel
- External service providers
- University graduate, Law Degree
- ITIL Software Management (or equivalent)
- 8+ years of professional experience in business law and litigation practice, especially relating to corporate law, contract law, intellectual property, information technology and PEZA rules
- Experience in managing large vendor contracts ~USD + 2M
- Experience in managing intragroup contracts
- Experience with large contract implementations
- Experience in managing outsourced and/or offshore vendors
- Excellent verbal and written English communication and presentation skills with previous experience
- Excellent inter-personal and negotiation skills
- Experience with mentoring and coaching team members (preferred)
- ITIL certified (preferred)
- Insurance experience (preferred)
Skills & competencies:
This role requires a candidate who is a strategic autonomous thinker and has the capability to work in a culturally diverse, dynamic team environment and is delivery orientated. Strong communication skills are critical as is the ability to influence positive outcomes through negotiation with key stakeholders.
Candidate should have practical experience in problem solving from a legal perspective, have an attention for detail-oriented and high level of organizational skills.
Would you like to wake up every day driven and inspired by our mission of acting for human progress by protecting what matters? Here at AXA we strive to be a responsible employer, placing employee engagement at the heart of its business strategy. Achieving this means creating a workplace built on AXA's Values that foster diversity and equal opportunities for all, promotes employee participation, encourages professional development, and supports employee well-being.
We are looking for talented individuals who come from varied backgrounds, think differently and want to be part of this exciting transformation by challenging the status quo so we can push AXA - a leading global brand and one of the most innovative companies in our industry - onto even greater things.
In a fast-evolving world and with a presence in 57 countries, our 160,000 employees anticipate change to offer services and solutions tailored to the current and future needs of our 108 million customers.
AXA is becoming a sustainable tech-led company and at AXA Group Operations we are one of the major catalysts for this transformation.
We set the tone by triggering and empowering the evolution of our insurance business model through technology and innovation, driving its concrete implementation globally at speed, with a high quality of advisory and execution.
We are present across 17 countries with committed, highly qualified teams. We leverage technology, data, sourcing, security and investment allocation in a global way, but also achieve economies of scale and synergies when necessary.
At AXA Group Operations, we want to be recognized in three fields of action:
- State-of-the-art Data Technology to drive customer experience
- State-of-the-art Procurement & Sourcing to drive efficiency and better manage risks
- High-Performing Global Team for stronger partnerships with AXA entities
We bring together the expertise, cultural diversity and creativity of over 8,000 employees worldwide and we’re committed to equal opportunities in all aspects of employment (gender, LGBT+, disabled persons, or people of different origins) and to promoting Diversity & Inclusion by creating a work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect, and where individual differences are valued.