The role of the COO Officer is to assist Sales teams on
• Feasibility study / structuring on products for Japanese clients
• Product engineering (advise and coordinate various internal and external stakeholders in the process of new portfolios creation for Japanese clients)
• Manage post-launch changes to existing portfolios
• Manage projects and review existing processes on an ad-hoc basis
Advisory and structuring
• Interact with all investment platforms (PMs, PSU), Sales teams, and Clients & Markets, Solutions teams in order to design an investable vehicle fitted to clients needs and to identify clients and regulatory requirements; suggest optimized structures given inputs from Sales and clients.
• In collaboration with teams in Product Management, identify product development opportunities in line with the strategy of AXA IM analyzing market potential relevance to the market environment, market positioning, etc.
• Relying on his coordination role the COO officer will lead the fund launch process as project owner (often in collaboration with Product Engineering team in Europe), define deliverables, assign stakeholders, monitor achievements against agreed timeline.
• The COO officer will design and set up the front to back operating model underpinning the portfolio (funds/investment management mandates) with the various internal stakeholders (fund manager, sales team, legal, risk, compliance, finance, operational support, etc) and third parties (trade support, asset servicing, custodians, administrators, transfer agents, lawyers, auditors, etc).
• The COO officer is also in charge of coordinating projects like mergers, liquidations, creations of new share classes, implementation of new instruments, change in custodians, administrators, transfer agents or investment teams.
• The COO officer will support the Global New Business Committee process, and assists in analyzing the operational feasibility of the proposals submitted to the Committee. He / she will also support paperwork in regard of any local governance committee.
Scope: New products for AXA Japan and Third party clients (Institutional and retail)
• The COO officer will convene and contribute to the 6 month review process which is a review of the operating model 6 months after the launching of each product.
• Implement required portfolios changes by interacting with relevant stakeholders.
Project Management and governance
• Under sponsoring of Local COO, lead and coordinate corporate projects on an ad-hoc basis. When required, perform process review and optimization. Ensure proper documentation related to processes and procedures.
• Under supervisory of local COO, monitor transversal processes.
• Educated to degree level
• Significant experience in financial industry, ideally in an Asset Management environment (recognised knowledge of asset classes, investment processes, management styles, financial products / instruments, risk indicators, etc). Understanding of typical strctures for Japanese investors (Qualified Investors as well as Sub-advisory for retail)
• Demonstrated knowledge of the characteristics of various funds, including Japanese investment trusts and offshore funds (flyers, ratio, expenses, share classes, regulatory environment, etc ...). Good understanding of operational workflows in the various structure types, and of roles of various parties.
• Past experience in structuring, product engineering or product development departments
o Past experience of Japanese fund set-up (understanding of relevant rules (JITA, JSDA, JFSA)
o Past experience of coordination with various stakeholders, both internal and external
Skills and competencies
• Strong written and oral communication skills in Japanese and Engligh
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to summarize and think strategically as well as to go into details
• Project management skills