Job opportunity: Regional Underwriting Analyst, MAXIS GBN Summary:
Representation of MAXIS GBN Underwriting Analyst in Asia Pacific and based in Hong Kong.
This position requires strong reinsurance and underwriting knowledge and coordination across the Maxis Global Benefits Network members located in over 110 countries around the world. In particular, strong negotiation skills are required when managing the relationship with the Multinational clients.
The position requires International Employee Benefits underwriting and re-insurance expertise. The successful candidate will need to be able to work on underwriting strategy, motivate global members’ underwriting staff in multiple international locations and provide underwriting guidance.
The countries of responsibility are in Asia and may change subject to allocation of the portfolio by your superior.
Department: MAXIS GBN, Asia Pacific
Location: Hong Kong
As an underwriter with a focus on this international market scope:
- Prepares responses to insurance Protection & Medical biddings, coordinate responses to technical questions related to global request for proposal for new or existing multinational customers, proposes a profitable technical solution that is tailored to the client needs and competitive next to the proposal of other competitors.
- Review and approve customer illustrations related to second-stage accounting for reinsured business; consider the addition, deletion or modification of participating policies in the global programs.
- Provides support for implementing management and production when the business is conclusive: copywriting of contractual records, assistance in the systems' technical settings, copywriting of customers records.
- Lead work with Members local offices around the world for inclusion of policies into global employee benefits programs by analysing financial and plan design information to decide whether to accept, as reinsurer, certain risk.
- Reviewing and ensuring the underwriting template, captive template or any file required is accurately completed and submitted timely.
- Identifying the underlying principles, reasons for deriving the underwriting result, to be shared with the sales/account management team/brokers/clients.
- Help perform in depth analysis on existing policy/new prospects to support periodic quarterly claims reports, renewal reports and new business.
- Manage a portfolio of complex high intensity and sophisticated pooling and captive employee benefits programs.
- Assist with the analyzing trends and the performance of each global program, identify the deficient accounts and help provide action plans and corrective measures for each global programme.
- Analyze and sets pooling parameters for each global programme based upon reinsurance support (e.g. free cover limit, reinsurance protection level, pooling method).
- Understands the expense and profitability drivers of each product category.
- Understands the insurance regulatory system; finds, interprets and applies local legal regulations and MAXIS Central compliance policy in underwriting and management of policies.
- Understands and interprets accurately the available information to assess the local Risk
- Exercising sound judgment and approving cases within the company and local market guidelines, up to his/her level of authority. Above the approving limit, to work with Corporate Office technical team for approval.
- Occassional Client or Member visit in conjunction with the Sales or Member Management Teams. This will also include conference calls with both internal and external stakeholders ie: captive risk manager, etc.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Degree level education (or equivalent) in Engineering, Actuarial studies, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent.
- 3+ years (or equivalent) of experience in Employee Benefits; Life, Accident, Disability and Medical underwriting.
- Strong knowledge of International Employee Benefits; Life, Accident, Disability and Medical.
- Good verbal, written and quantitative analysis communication skills.
- Ability to focus on customers, manage performance effectively, and inspire a shared vision whilst building relationships.
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of accountability and prompt reply.
- Organisational skills – ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Excellent computer skills, especially on Excel, VBA and Access.
- Languages: Fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Would you like to wake up every day driven and inspired by our noble mission and to work together as one global team to empower people to live a better life? Here at AXA we strive to lead the transformation of our industry. We are looking for talented individuals who come from varied backgrounds, think differently and want to be part of this exciting transformation by challenging the status quo so we can push AXA - a leading global brand and one of the most innovative companies in our industry - onto even greater things.
In a fast-evolving world and with a presence in 64 countries, our 166,000 employees and exclusive distributors anticipate change to offer services and solutions tailored to the current and future needs of our 103 million customers.
AXA Hong Kong, a member of the AXA Group, prides itself of serving over 1 million customers in Hong Kong and Macau. Besides being one of the largest health protection providers in Hong Kong, it is also the number 1 General Insurance provider1 and a market leader in motor insurance.
AXA Hong Kong is committed to helping its customers achieve stability and prosperity through providing a comprehensive range of life, health, property and casualty protection, as well as wealth management and retirement solutions.
We believe it is our inherent responsibility to support the communities we operate in, hence creating a sustainable business via constant and considerable contribution in the dimensions of health, environment and the community.
AXA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to promote Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) by creating a work environment where all employees are treated with dignity, respect, and where individual differences are valued. We welcome and treasure diverse profiles to join our big family, and to build an inclusive culture together which allows everyone to maximize their personal potential.
1Based on 2013 Office of the Commissioner of Insurance market share statistics
We offer excellent career prospects and attractive remuneration package to the right candidates.